We serve. We lead. We get things done.
Learn about AmeriCorps
AmeriCorps is the national service initiative that provides community service opportunities to people of all ages and backgrounds. AmeriCorps is a 10-12 month volunteer service term.
Through their service, AmeriCorps members address critical needs in local communities such as building affordable housing, tutoring and mentoring youth, fighting illiteracy, improving health services, teaching computer skills, cleaning parks and streams, and helping communities respond to disasters. Habitat for Humanity works with AmeriCorps members to build homes and relationships with our families and volunteers.
Each year, San Diego Habitat welcomes a new group of AmeriCorps members who serve as team leaders, trainers, supervisors and community ambassadors. The AmeriCorps members are an integral part of our team, both on the construction site, at the ReStore, and in the office. Through their efforts and service, AmeriCorps members increase capacity for Habitat for Humanity and allow us to serve more local, working families.
AmeriCorps Members Will:
- Work together with working families and volunteers to build affordable homes for ownership
- Strengthen communities by educating and uniting volunteers in the fight against poverty housing
- Develop procedures and build capacity for new programs such as the Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative and the ReStore
- Develop a sense of citizenship by serving and reflecting on their experience as team leaders and community organizers
Duration of Commitment
AmeriCorps opportunities are full-time positions. The duration of an AmeriCorps terms is determined by the type of positon. Members can either do direct service (which is the National program) or in indirect service, working to build long-term capacity (which is the VISTA program). National members serve a 10.5-month term, and VISTA members serve a full-year term.
Benefits of Service
- Get experience working hands-on a non-profit
- Living stipend paid bi-weekly
- Monthly rent stipend
- Health benefits
- Education award to use toward future school or repay loans
How do I apply?
While we are not currently recruiting, you can fill out this interest form so you can be the first to know when recruitment begins. If you have any questions or for more information, you can reach out to Chris Orkwis, our Manager of Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Public service work for organizations like AmeriCorps, Teach for America, or the Peace Corps
can be a gateway to a variety of careers, including those outside public service.”
Read more from the New York Times