We serve. We lead. We get things done.
San Diego Habitat for Humanity is proud to host AmeriCorps Members! AmeriCorps is the national service initiative that provides community service opportunities to people of all ages and backgrounds. AmeriCorps members may do direct service, through National positions, or indirect, capacity building service, through VISTA positions.
Through their service, AmeriCorps members address critical needs in local communities such as building or repairing affordable housing, tutoring and mentoring youth, fighting illiteracy, improving health services, teaching computer skills, cleaning parks and streams, and helping communities respond to disasters. Habitat for Humanity works with AmeriCorps members to build homes and relationships with our homeowners and volunteers.
Each year, San Diego Habitat welcomes a new group of AmeriCorps members who serve as team leaders, trainers, supervisors and community ambassadors. The AmeriCorps members are an integral part of our team, both on the construction site, at the ReStore, and in the office. Through their efforts and service, AmeriCorps members increase capacity for Habitat for Humanity and allow us to serve more local, working families.
AmeriCorps Members Will:
- Work together with homeowners and volunteers to build and repair homes
- Strengthen communities by educating and uniting volunteers in the fight against the housing crisis
- Develop procedures and build capacity for programs such as the Neighborhood Revitalization and the ReStore
- Develop a sense of citizenship by serving and reflecting on their experience as team leaders and community organizers
Duration of Commitment
AmeriCorps opportunities are full-time positions. The duration of an AmeriCorps terms is determined by the type of positon. Members can either do direct service (which is the National program) or in indirect service, working to build long-term capacity (which is the VISTA program). National members serve a 10.5-month term, and VISTA members serve a full-year term.
Benefits of Service
- Get experience working hands-on a non-profit
- Living stipend paid bi-weekly
- Monthly rent stipend
- Health benefits
- Education award to use toward future school or repay loans
Current AmeriCorps Opportunities
For any questions concerning the AmeriCorps program, please contact Chris Orkwis at email@example.com
Meet our AmeriCorps Members!